Saturday, February 24, 2007

I Luv Hillwalking















Hillwalking is one of the great Irish pasttimes that I've taken up as my own. This country is chock full of fabulous places to hike, regardless of your hiking prowess. I've been a hillwalker for about a year now - I started about five months after we'd moved here, when it finally sunk in that I wasn't going to be able to secure a job. My expat club goes three times a month, and I do my best to make them all. The only factors that have stopped me have been visitors, traveling, and illness. It has by far and away been one of my favorite aspects of my life here. Great exercise, unbelievable views, and it's important to get out and talk with everyone too, as domestic life can get rather mundane. I return from the walks usually rather muddy, often a bit rain-drenched, and a little achy/sleepy in that satisfying way when you've had a good excercise.




Dublin alone has dozens of great trails, hills, coastlines, and small mountains to meander, all within a thirty to forty minute drive or train ride from the city centre. After ten months as a hillwalker, I finally bought hiking boots in the hope that I will continue the hobby when I travel in the US. I don't take hillwalking for granted, and I'll miss the easy access to such gorgeous countryside when we return to the flat plains, cornfields and billboards of the Midwest.

After a year of hillwalking, I finally remembered to bring my camera along on one of our journeys. The pics are from our hike around the Ballinastoe area - just south of Dublin. More on Flickr - Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home