Monday, August 28, 2006

Fall and Football


Written by - aw heck, who else could it be: It's not even September yet, and already it's beginning to feel like fall over here. I've been downright cold during the last two nights, but pure principal prohibits me from turning on the heat! How's that for alliteration? I think both Nate and I are in denial over the sudden change in season - I keep trying to wear short sleeves in the fruitless hope that my clothing choice will persuade the weather to warm up again. I mean, it's August for heavens sake! I didn't even break my summer clothes out until well into June!
At least with the cooler weather comes one thing that brings joy into both our hearts - especially Nate's: American football!!! Three years ago we started a fantasy football league with a great mix of friends and family from both sides - and we just kicked the season off with our draft last Saturday. The Ireland contingent of The League completed their draft from an Internet cafe - I'm sure we had a few raised eyebrows in our direction during our three hours spent poring over notes and shouting at the computer screen - Nate says I get a little "intense." Does that sound like me? I cannot mention The League without noting that I was the first member to win the championship - so I get a little competitive trying to regain my title. This isn't our trophy, but we have one - and my name's the first one on it!

Since Nate's parents are currently visiting, we had three drafters at the keyboards - Nate's mom is also part of the League, and I must say she came prepared - with a binder chock full of secret information of which neither Nate nor I could steal a single glimpse! Nate's dad was very patient for three hours, watching us draft away. Hopefully some of our readers have heard of Fantasy Football - otherwise I don't think any of this makes much sense.
We weren't the only ones in unique drafting circumtances. My parents made a party out of draft day, inviting my uncle and cousin to join in at their house. I can only imagine the mayhem that took place over there.
But the first prize for fantasy football dedication is awarded to our dear friend Marshal, who drafted from his laptop in the hospital, where his wife had given birth to their first child not even 24 hours before! He was apparently caring for his new daughter in between his picks, as he kept asking if any of us wanted to hold his crying baby. I would!! If I didn't live on another continent right now. Congratulations Marshal!
It was an impressive feat to be able to coordinate twelve people drafting all at once - well, nine people. Three weren't able to make it. But the nine who did draft spanned time zones from Ireland all the way to California! Now that the first step is done, we have only to wait for the season to start. I'm ready to take my championship over again. Let the games begin!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I understand, Megan. My league with a bunch of South Carolina buddies drafted last week. The fun starts Thursday. Do you all have a good way to watch the games? (I imagine you can catch the early games in the evening... Is there an expat bar nearby?)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Megan and Nate said...

Wow, my reply to this one has been a long time coming! So sad I'm only getting to this at the end of the season, but at least I'm still enjoying watching my team play - who do you support these days?

We have cable that shows two games on Sundays - the first game starts at 6pm and the second starts at 9:30pm, so it's a fairly late night. There is one bar that shows games, but it's pretty crappy. We went there in the early days before we had cable, but now we like sitting in the comfort of our living room.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home